One of the biggest and best casinos in the world. The Foxwood Resort Casino is located in a picturesque area, surrounded by primeval forests, near the American town of Pedyard, Connecticut.
Foxwoods Resort Casino is a hotel and casino owned and operated by the Mashantucket Pekuot Tribe on their reservation in Ledyard, Connecticut. The resort, with six casinos, covers an area of 840,000 m2. The casino has more than 250 blackjack, craps, roulette and poker tables, as well as more than 5,500 slot machines. The casino has several restaurants, including the Hard Rock Cafe.
Foxwoods has two hotel towers with a total of 2,228 rooms; and an arcade for children and teens. The original Grand Pequot Tower opened in 1997 and the second opened in 2008 under the name MGM Grand; it was renamed Fox Tower in 2013. In 2015, a shopping complex known as Tanger Outlet Mall with 85 luxury shops opened between the two hotel towers.
The Mashantucket Pequot Tribe gained legal control of their reservation and federal recognition through an Act of Congress in 1983, which overrode President Ronald Reagan’s veto. The tribe continued to grow and in 1986 Foxwoods, a high-altitude bingo hall on their reservation, was established.
The tribe partnered with Lim Guo Tong, a Chinese man from Malaysia who founded the only legal casino in Malaysia, to finance the expansion of Foxwoods into a full casino.
The tribe added table games in 1992 and additional slot machines in 1993. J Michael Brown became president of the casino in 1993. Under an agreement with the State of Connecticut to obtain approval for the casino, the tribe agreed to pay the state 25% of slot machine revenues, which in 2007 amounted to nearly $200 million per year. In the fiscal year ending June 2008, Foxwoods spent more than $9.1 billion on 6,300 slots. As of January 2012, the ‘backlog’ was $45 million. A poker room and a gaming area with 30 high-limit tables were added in 1995.
Since Foxwoods is located on the sovereign territory of the Mashantucket Pequot, it is not required to comply with state smoking laws. The casino, built in 1996, is not designed for non-smokers. Due to complaints from regular visitors and staff, it designated many public areas, such as lobbies, walkways, hotel lobbies, retail shops and most restaurants, as non-smoking areas in the early 21st century. There are also designated smoking areas. The poker room is non-smoking and individual gaming tables and slot machines are designated as non-smoking areas.
One of the interesting features of the casino is that it is both a leisure venue and a hotel, and an elegant one at that. There are 1,400 rooms for all tastes and costs. But the most important reason why tourists from all over the world come here is the casino and its large number of games of chance. The entire entertainment complex of the Foxwood Resort Casino includes a swimming pool, no less than four theatres and a dance club with discotheque. The complex’s large concert hall regularly hosts major concerts by classical artists and musicians. For example, the great opera singer Luciano Pavarotti performed here. Such concerts take place in the Arena Theatre, whose auditorium can seat up to 4,000 spectators. And for lovers of retro music, head to the Fox Theatre, where you can listen to the songs of Frank Sinatra and other famous artists from this repertoire. Live concerts with famous contemporary stars are held at the Intermezzo and Atrium theatres.
When it comes to gambling, no other casino in the world offers so much. The Foxwood Resort Casino offers hundreds of classic and traditional games, as well as rarer games with a strong ethnic flavour. The casino itself is not small: almost 18,000 square metres. In the larger gaming rooms, there are always Swedish tables with snacks and treats for the public. There is a unique atmosphere that makes you want to play, play and play!
Games available at Foxwoods include:
- Traditional ‘big table’ baccarat (Punto Banco style) and ‘mini baccarat’, where the cards are dealt by the croupier. In both variants, the casino maintains the game.
- Bingo, with a bingo hall that can accommodate up to 5000 players.
- Blackjack, with 6 or 8 decks. A variant called ‘Spanish 21’ is also in play. The casino has a rare ‘Dollar Blackjack’ table (minimum bet is $1).
- Craps .
- Keno draw.
- Money wheel at the Fox Tower.
- Pai gow is offered in the Asian games section of Rainmaker Casino.
- Sic Bo , an Asian game with three dice in a shaker, is also held in the Asian games section.
- Variants of table poker (with play against the dealer) include Caribbean Stud Poker , Casino War , Poker Mad 4 , Poker High Five , Let It Ride , Pai Gow Poker , Texas Hold’em Bonus and Three Card Poker .
- Roulette: almost all the wheels are American-style (with two green dots, 0 and 00), although there are some European-style wheels with a single zero.
- Slot machines: has 3,500 slot machines.
- Bookshop with cafeteria. Bets can be placed on Jai Alai or on a total of over 60 tracks and dog races. The races are broadcast on 15-metre high digital screens.
You may also like: